An earthy tasty pickling mix that features Australian native thyme. This recipe uses a delicious native thyme vinegar, available from Saltbush Kitchen. You can use many different vegetables for this recipe, my favourites are carrots & beetroot.
This recipe makes quite a lot of pickles, about 750ml of pickles. They keep really well in the fridge and are great for the warmer months for all those salads and BBQs.
- 250gm vegetables e.g. carrots & beetroot, sliced finely
- 500ml white vinegar
- 70gm caster sugar
- 25gm salt flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon native thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon saltbush
- 1/2 teaspoon pepperberry
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint gum
- Place all ingredients except the vegetables in a bowl. Whisk to combine and dissolve the sugar. Peel and slice vegetables julienne style. Add vegetables to vinegar.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge making sure the vegetables are submerged in the liquid.
Enjoy with cheese and meats, on sandwiches and on salads.