Simple and delicious cookies. You can substitute the strawberry gum with lemon myrtle, aniseed myrtle, kunzea or wattleseed.
- 125g butter, softened
- ⅓ cup caster sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cups plain flour
- ¼ cup custard powder
- 1 teaspoon strawberry gum*
- ½ cup Icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon lemon myrtle
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar, strawberry gum, lemon rind and vanilla for 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add egg. Beat until combined.
- Sift flour and custard powder over butter mixture. Using a wooden spoon, stir to combine. Divide dough in half. Press each half into a
disc. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 15 minutes
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced.
- Roll each disc out between 2 sheets of baking paper until 5mm thick.
- Cut into shapes (I like a circle cutter).
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Allow to cool before icing.
- Mix icing sugar, lemon juice and lemon myrtle in a bowl, then spread over the biscuits with a palette knife or the back of a spoon. Leave to set for 1 hour.